Menu

churchhill tank 1

CHURCHILL MARK VII TANK

The Churchill Mark VII tank "Carrickfergus" was unveiled by Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant for the County of Antrim; Mrs Joan Christie OBE LL on Saturday 28th June 2014.

The tank was presented to the Mayor, Borough Council and Citizens of Carrickfergus by the Trustees of the North Irish Horse Museum and Archive Collection, Colonel D de B Kinahan, Colonel NC Tougher TD, Colonel CR McDonald TD and DW McCorkell Esq.

The tank "Carrickfergus"serves as an icon to acknowledge the combined industrial and military heritage shared by the citizens of Carrickfergus and the North Irish Horse. 

The development of the earlier models of this tank "Matildas" and the Churchill model A20 were carried out by the shipbuilders Harland and Wolff in their Belfast shipyard and latterly in their tank factory on the Woodburn Road, Carrickfergus, now the site of a Royal Mail office.

A booklet outlining the development of the Churchill tank and a factsheet giving the technical details may be obtained from the Museum and Civic Centre, Antrim Street Carrickfergus.

churchhill tank 2

Photograph Copyright © Karl Oakman

 

In the center of this aerial photogrpah below, is thought to be 'The Churchill Mark VII tank Factory', in Carrickfergus.

 

Here is a Google map of the area today, where the tank factory was.

For more information on the Churchhill Tank click here

 

December 2019
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

Sponsors

Category: History

Old Carrickfergus Town

 

Churchill Mark VII Tank

HomeHistoryChurchhill Mark VII Tank
Churchhill Mark VII Tank

Churchhill Mark VII Tank

 

Carrickfergus Song

Category: Blue Plaques

William III of England (King Billy)

blueplaques carrickfergus online

William III (DutchWillem III; 4 November 1650 – 8 March 1702) was a sovereign Prince of Orange of the House of Orange-Nassau by birth.

 

Market House

blueplaques carrickfergus online

Former Market House, Carrickfergus - Located at Market Place, it was the Market House from 1775 - 1843 and the townhall from 1843 - 1935,

 

William Ruddick

blueplaques carrickfergus online

William Ruddick was a former Newsletter reporter who was orphaned at the age of five when his father who was a deck engineer on the Titanic, lost his life on the Titanic.

Go to top